Thursday, June 25, 2009

Keith & Karen



Hanging on our bedroom wall is a framed copy of the following quote:

Cherish your spouse as the greatest possession of your life and treat him or her accordingly. Make it your constant goal to add to the happiness and comfort of your companion. Never permit yourself to let down in your affection, or your respect, or your faith in one another.

(Gordon B. Hinckley, “The Quest for Excellence,” Ensign, Sep 1999)

I love this quote. I think it sums up perfectly the guidelines for a successful marriage. Over the past few weeks I've been thinking a lot about this very thing. I don't understand why sometimes it is so difficult for many of us to treat the most important person in our life accordingly. It seems at times that this is going to be a lesson that takes a lifetime to learn (for me at least). However, I have been fortunate enough to know a couple who had this figured out perfectly from day one.

My younger brother, Keith and his sweetheart, Karen have been the greatest example to me of how to do marriage right. I wish that everyone could have had a peak into this sweet couple's perfect 3 years together on earth. They lived this counsel completely, happily serving each other and cherishing every precious moment that they had together. Karen's passing has seperated them for now, but I have no doubts at all that they will enjoy an eternity together of what they started here.

I will forever be grateful for all that they have taught me, and I hope to continue to learn to treat my sweetheart with this same love and devotion, because he is so worth it!

No comments: